These two towns in Jaén are the jewels of the Andalusian Renaissance. They were declared World Heritage Sites in 2003. Full of nobility, carved rock and tradition close to the Castilian, they are cities of history. Gateway to the kingdom of Granada in the last periods of the reconquest, they are located between millions of olive trees and a few kilometres from the Sierras de Cazorla, Las Villas, Segura and Sierra Mágina. With a great tradition of stonemasonry, it is worth mentioning the production of ceramics, present in the tiles of the churches and in the tiled skirting boards of the houses. Fresco patios between columns and stone arches, jars, fountains, wells, pots and basins: the land surrounding the two towns, of clayey sediment, although camouflaged by the thick layer of olive trees, make this place one of the capitals of the "botijos" and crockery.
Both towns were conquered in 1227 (Baeza) and 1233 (Úbeda) by Ferdinand III, known as "the Saint". Thus, these two towns experienced their period of maximum splendour during the Andalusian Renaissance of the 16th century, which is the period to which most of their most illustrious buildings belong. This period is the focus of the Visits to Úbeda and Baeza, without forgetting a whole story that goes back to prehistoric times.
During our visit to Baeza we discovered the university with the well-known presence of Antonio Machado.
Úbeda also has great names: Francisco de Cobos asked Diego de Siloé to design the Salvador, but a magnificent work by Andrés de Vandelvira was the result.
The visit to Úbeda and Baeza can be complemented with a visit to the Olive Oil Museum in Bejíjar as well as a visit to Jaén Cathedral, where the great architect Andrés de Vandelvira is once again present.